October 5, 2017
Administrative Assistant to the National Office
Position Title: Administrative Assistant to the National Office
Component: Government Services Union
Employment type: Term assignment, Up to 3 months
Classification: Band 6, AEU VIII
Language: Bilingual (English, French)
Salary: $60,847 to 68,483 plus $1,200 Bilingual bonus
This competition is open to employees of the GSU, PSAC, PSAC Components, and PSAC Holdings Ltd. First priority will be given to GSU applicants, then the PSAC and its’ Components, followed by members of the GSU and subsequently to the public.
PURPOSE AND DUTIES OF POSITION
Under the supervision of the Finance and Administration Officer, the Assistant to the National Office would include the following duties as required:
- Performing reception duties;
- Providing general administrative support to the National Office for file administration, copying, filing, preparation of documents, taking meeting minutes and data entry;
- Formatting documents in Word;
- Updating Excel spreadsheets;
- Proofreading documents in English and French;
- Maintaining office administration and finance record systems;
- Logging incoming mail and filing;
- Updating and maintaining internal GSU contact lists;
- Preparing and sending regular mailings to the GSU National Council and Local Officers;
- Coordinating calls for courier services and preparing mailings;
- Performing other related duties.
- Knowledge of the Federal Government, PSAC and GSU structure and organization;
- Good knowledge of Union principles, objectives and activities;
- High level of interpersonal skills, good communication skills, good judgement and good problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and in French;
- Very good proofreading skills and grammar in both languages;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel;
- Basic knowledge of UnionWare is considered an asset.
Applications must be received by Monday, October 16, 2017 at 5:00 pm and should be sent to:
Finance and Administration Officer
Government Services Union
705–233 Gilmour Street, Ottawa, ON K2P OP2
Fax to (613) 230-6774, or by E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Government Services Union is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to employment equity.
A screening Board will review applications. The Board’s decision will be based on the contents of the application. Applicants should send a cover letter with their resume, explaining how their work experience and qualifications relate to this position, as this will provide the basis for the interview selection. A written exam will be administered to the selected candidates. Travel expenses incurred by applicants will not be reimbursed by the Component.
Please advise the Selection board if you require any technical aids or other accommodation during any stage of the selection process.