By-laws of Local 70017 – Shared Services Canada, GSU
Including Proposed changes & additions as indicated by strikeout textand red text.
- By-law 1 – Name and Jurisdiction
- By-law 2 – Objectives
- By-law 3 – Authority and Responsibilities
- By-law 4 – Membership
- By-law 5 – Membership dues
- By-law 6 – Executive Committee
- By-law 7 – Duties of Officers
- By-law 8 – Shop Stewards
- By-law 9 – Meetings
- By-law 10 – Election of Officers
- By-law 11 – Finances
- By-law 12 – Discipline
- By-law 13 – By-laws and Amendments
- By-law 14 – Charter
- By-law 15 – General
By-law 1 – Name and Jurisdiction
This Local shall be known as Local 70017 – Shared Services Canada – NCR, of the Government Services Union, Public Service Alliance of Canada.
The jurisdiction of this Local shall be as determined from time to time by the National Council of the Government Services Union, PSAC.
By-law 2 – Objectives
This Local shall protect, maintain, and advance the interests of the members coming under its jurisdiction.
This Local shall subscribe unconditionally to and accept as its governing documents, the Constitution of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, the By-laws of the GSU, and these By-laws.
By-law 3 – Authority and Responsibilities
The Local shall have the authority to deal with management representatives in their locality on matters affecting the interests of the membership. The Local shall also have the authority to initiate action on matters having broader effect than the interests of the Local membership, by submission in writing to the National Council or by resolution to the Triennial National Convention of the Union or by submission in writing to the relevant body of the Public Service Alliance of Canada.
The Local may designate one of its elected officers as a full-time officer of the Local and may employ a person or persons to assist in carrying out the work of the Local. Any financial undertaking shall be the sole and exclusive responsibility of the Local.
The Local may acquire such space and facilities as may be necessary for the conduct of the affairs of the Local. Any financial undertaking shall be the sole and exclusive responsibility of the Local.
The executive shall have the authority to establish any committee it deems necessary for the conduct of Local business.
The Local may adopt regulations for the conduct of the affairs of the Local. Such regulations shall not in any way conflict with the provisions of the Constitution of the Public Service Alliance of Canada or of the GSU By-laws.
By-law 4 – Membership
Section 1 Regular
The Local shall be composed of all members of the GSU in its jurisdiction, as determined from time to time by the National Council.
Section 2 Associate
The Local may retain as associate members former members of the Local whose employment has been terminated.
Associate members shall not be eligible to hold elected office in the Union, shall have voice but not vote in meetings of the Local, but may be accorded such other privileges of membership for such length of time as may be provided by the Local.
Upon applying for membership, each member is deemed to have agreed to abide by and to be bound by the provisions of the Constitution of the PSAC, the By-laws of the GSU, and these Local By-laws.
By-law 5 – Membership dues
Each member of this Local shall pay such dues as set by the Convention of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, by the Convention of the GSU and by this Local.
The amount of Local membership dues for Regular Members shall be established by a two-thirds(?)majority vote of the members present at a meeting called for the purpose of establishing dues.
Associate Members of this Local shall be exempt from paying dues.
By-law 6 – Executive Committee
The Executive Committee of this Local shall consist, at a minimum, of a President, a Vice-president, a Secretary-Treasurer.
The members of the Executive Committee shall be nominated and elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Local, and shall hold office for a period of twothreeyears.
The Executive Committee shall conduct the business of the Local between general meetings.
If the office of Local President becomes vacant for any reason, the Local Vice-president will fill the position, in accordance with Local By-law 7, Section 2 a.
If an elected office other than Local President becomes vacant for any reason, the Local Executive Committee may appoint a replacement on an interim basis.
At the next General Membership Meeting the Executive must conduct an election, following the procedure outlined in the PSAC Rules of Order, to fill the vacant position for the remainder of the original term of office.
Disbursement of Honorarium
- The Local will disburse Annual Honorariums to its designated serving officers.
- Officers currently deemed eligible for annual honorariums are the President, Vice-President, Chief Shop Steward, Treasurer, Secretary, and Director.
- The Local Executive shall make the total yearly dollar ($) amount recommendation to the AGM membership for their approval.
- The dollar ($) amount voted for in section 5c shall be dispursed (half at the AGM, half 6 months after the AGM) on the following Percentile basis: 30% President, 20% Vice-President, 20% Chief Shop Steward, 10% Treasurer, 10% Secretary and 10%
- The President can authorize payment of honorariums of up to $50.00 ($100.00 max annually) to members for participation in local activities.
By-law 7 – Duties of Officers
Section 1 the President shall:
- a) convene and preside at all special and regular meetings of the Executive Committee and the Local;
- b) submit a written Activity Report to the Annual General Membership Meeting of the Local covering the period between Annual General Membership Meetings;
- c) in consultation with the Local Executive, deal with local representatives of the employer on matters affecting the interests of the members of the Local.
- d) attend the GSU Triennial Convention as a delegate from the Local.
- e) perform other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Committee
- f) Participate on GSU Standing Committees if requested by the GSU National President.
Section 2 the Vice-president shall:
- a) assist the President in his or her duties and replace the President when requested to do so, or in the case of absence, incapacity, resignation, or death;
- b) attend all meetings of the Executive Committee and of the Local;
- c) perform other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Committee.
Section 3 the Secretary shall:
- a) attend all meetings of the Local and Executive Committee;
- b) keep an accurate account of the proceedings of each and distribute the minutes to the appropriate members and the GSU National Office;
- c) be responsible for maintaining proper files of documents and all correspondence;
- d) perform such other duties as pertain to the office or as are assigned by the Executive Committee.
Section 4 the Treasurer shall:
- a) be responsible for the financial records of the Local;
- b) be responsible for the preparation and presentation of financial statements at membership and executive meetings as required;
- c) collect all moneys payable to the Local and deposit such funds in a financial institution approved by the Executive Committee;
- d) be responsible for the disbursement of funds payable by the Local in settlement of its just debts;
- g) attend all meetings of the Executive Committee and of the Local;
- h) perform other such duties as pertain to the Office or as are assigned by the Executive Committee;
- i) ensure that an up-to-date listing of all members is kept.
Section 5 The Director shall:
- support at all times, the duly elected executive officers of the local in the execution of their several assignments in pursuance of the aims and objects of the local. The director shall serve on the committees of the local as requested by the president or the executive committee and shall carry out such assignments on behalf of the local as may be fairly allotted to him/her.
- act in a liaison capacity between the local members and it’s executive officers with a view to promoting the good order, discipline and welfare of the local.
- attend all meetings of the executive committee, the annual general meeting and special general meetings when called.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the executive committee.
Section 56 General
Any officer of the Local, on vacating an office, shall deliver all documents, moneys, or other property of the Local to his or her successor or to the President.
Section 7 – Mobile phone for President
The President should have a personal mobile phone to conduct union business with PSAC, GSU, Local Executive, members and the employer. It is the responsibility of the President to file monthly expense claims using/attaching the monthly mobile phone bill. The cost of the phone should not exceed $100.00 monthly. The phone number for this subsidized mobile phone should be published on the Locals page on the GSU website.
By-law 8 – Shop Stewards
The Executive Committee shall arrange for the election or appointment of Shop Stewards.
By-law 9 – Meetings
Section 1 Executive Committee Meetings
- a) The Executive Committee shall hold regular meetings for the proper conduct of the Local’s affairs.
- b) Executive Committee Meetings will be open to the general membership. Notices of these meetings will be placed on bulletin boards advising the membership of the time and location of the meetings.
- c) A quorum for Executive Committee Meetings shall be a simple majority of elected officers.
Section 2 Membership Meetings
- a) The governing body of the Local shall be the Annual General Membership Meeting, which shall be held in November at least once each year.
- b) Members of the Local shall be given 30 days advance notice of the scheduled Annual General Membership Meeting to give them time to prepare motions and amendments to the By-laws if they wish.
- c) The date, time, location and the proposed Agenda the Annual General Membership Meeting shall be advertised to the members of the Local at least 20 days before the meeting.
- d) The date, time, location and the proposed Agenda of all other General Membership Meetings shall be advertised to the members of the Local at least 20 days before the meeting.
- e) Regular General Membership Meetings may be held as determined by the Local Executive or by decision of the membership at the Annual General Membership Meeting.
- f) The agenda for the Annual General Membership Meeting shall be presented by the Executive Committee and shall include but not be limited to the following:
1) Call to Order by the Chairperson
2) Roll Call of Officers
3) Minutes of previous General Membership Meeting
4) Report of President
5) Report of Treasurer
6) Audited Financial Statements
7) Approval of Local Budget
8) Committee Reports
9) Amendments to By-laws if any
10) Nomination and Election of Officers
11) Nomination and Election of Auditors
12) Other Business
- g) A quorum for any General Membership Meeting, including the Annual General Membership Meeting, shall be a majority of the Local Executive Committee and at least 20 members in accordance with GSU Regulation 2, By-law 9, Section 2g.
- h) A Special Membership Meeting shall be called at the request of a majority of the Local Executive or at the written request of 25% of the membership or 30 members (whichever is less.) The Local Executive shall decide the time and place, but, it shall be held within a period of thirty (30) calendar days of the request. A Special Membership Meeting shall deal only with the matters for which it was called unless the members present agree by a two-thirds majority to consider other matters of an urgent or necessary nature.
Section 3 Rules of Order
All Local meetings shall be governed by PSAC Rules of Order, as published by the Public Service Alliance of Canada.
By-law 10 – Election of Officers
- a) Election of officers shall take place at the Annual General Meeting and will follow the procedure outlined in the PSAC Rules of Order.
- b) All officers shall take office at the end of the meeting at which they are elected.
- c) The oath of office shall be administered to all officers immediately before taking office.
- d) Prior to the start of elections at any GSU meeting, the officer conducting the elections shall read aloud the GSU Elected Officer Accountability Accord found in GSU regulation.
By-law 11 – Finances
The fiscal year of the Local shall be from January to December. November to October.
Three members of the Local Executive shall be designated as signing officers, two of whom shall sign all cheques. No disbursements shall be made without authorization by a General Membership Meeting unless such disbursements are within budgetary limits or in accordance with financial guidelines established at a General Membership Meeting.
- a) The Treasurer shall submit a financial statement to all regular Membership Meetings of the Local and shall submit an audited annual financial statement to the National President of GSU within thirty (30) days following the Local’s Annual General Membership Meeting.
- b) The Auditors shall audit the Local’s financial statements prior to the next Annual General Membership Meeting in order to present their report.
- a) The Local shall not enter into any financial contractual understanding or agreement without prior approval of the National Council of the Union. However, any such undertaking shall be the sole and exclusive responsibility of the Local.
- b) The Government Services Union, PSAC has no responsibility for any financial obligations undertaken by a GSU Local.
By-law 12 – Discipline
Should the Local fail to carry out the responsibilities required by these By-laws, the provisions of the By-laws of the GSU shall be applied.
Any member or group of members found guilty of engaging in acts detrimental to the Local as detailed in the By-laws of the GSU shall be subject to the disciplinary actions detailed therein. Actions taken under this By-law shall follow the procedures set out in the appropriate PSAC Regulation.
By-law 13 – By-laws and Amendments
Any proposed changes to these By-laws shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary at least forty (40). Thirty (30)days prior to the date set for a General Membership Meeting. Proposed amendments must be detailed in the Notice of Meeting.
Amendments to these By-laws shall require a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the members attending the meeting.
Any amendment shall become operative immediately upon adoption, unless otherwise specified, and shall be circulated to the membership of the Local, with a copy to the National President, GSU. These By-laws and any amendments thereto shall be subject to approval by the National Council of the GSU.
By-law 14 – Charter
The members of this Local shall be bound by these By-laws and being so bound shall be entitled to receive the Charter of the GSU.
By-law 15 – General
Section 1 Representation at National Conventions
The Local President shall be an automatic Delegate to the GSU Convention. All other delegates who the Local is entitled to send to National Conventions shall be elected at a General Membership Meeting of the Local.
Section 2 Representation to Area Council
Delegates to the Area Council shall be elected at a general meeting of the Local.