Oct. 22, 2020
Please find an employment opportunity from the Government Services Union (GSU).
Position Title: Senior Union Representative
Component: Government Services Union - PSAC
Employment type: Indeterminate
Classification: Band 12 (Under review)
Language: Bilingual (English, French)
Salary: $109,216 to $122,923 plus $1,200 Bilingual bonus
Group: Collective Agreement - AEU, Unit VIII
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Under the direction of the GSU National President, the Senior Union Representative:
· Provides advice and guidance to the National President on matters pertaining to the membership’s rights;
· Provides support and advice to the National President and National Officers, Regional Vice-Presidents and Locals, pertaining to member representation;
· Serves as a member of the GSU Senior Staff Team;
· Leads the GSU Representation Team (currently two Union Representatives and one Administrative Assistant to the Team), provides guidance and advice to the Team on grievances, CHRC complaints, disability claims case management, classification and workers’ compensation files;
· Provides day-to-day supervision of the GSU Union Representative Team including assigning and managing workload, ensures timely completion of tasks, approves leave and recommends overtime; provides guidance, advice and identifies training requirements;
· And many other duties.
To review the complete Position Description, please request the Statement of Responsibilities.
A French version of the Job Poster and Position Description are available upon request.
· A combination of education, training and extensive experience (minimum of 5 years) directly related to Union representation;
· Excellent knowledge of the structure and organization of the Federal Government, the Public Service Alliance of Canada and its’ Components’ responsibilities. Knowledge of the PSAC staff responsibilities would be considered an asset;
· Excellent knowledge of the Federal Government Departments, Crown Corporations and separate employer organizations and other agencies;
· Excellent knowledge of Union principles, objectives and demonstrated Union/Social activism and the ability to reinforce those values through leadership in the workplace;
· Excellent knowledge of labour legislation/regulations including the Canada Labour Code, the Public Service Labour Relations Act, the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Public Service Employment Act, etc.;
· Demonstrated ability to interpret collective agreement language;
· Demonstrated ability to research, review and present cases;
· Demonstrated capacity for administrative and representation work and the ability to write clearly including preparation and delivery of submissions, reports and correspondence, in both English and French;
· High level of interpersonal skills and a strong ability to maintain confidentiality;
· Excellent judgement and demonstrated problem-solving, consultative and conflict resolution skills to provide sound direction and advice on a variety of complex issues;
· Ability to demonstrate tact and discretion in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential, controversial and sensitive nature;
· Demonstrated teamwork and leadership abilities under circumstances that may be stressful or politically sensitive;
· The ability to lead and bring out the best in others by example or mentoring; and, previous experience leading a Team would be considered a strong asset;
· Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with all levels of the organization, members and the public;
· The ability to provide assistance, upon request, in the drafting of amendments to GSU Bylaws, Regulations and Policy would be considered an asset;
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and in French;
· Very good knowledge of computer software applications including e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets and database programs and ability to work directly from electronic files;
· A working knowledge of Unionware would be considered a strong asset;
· Ability to effectively schedule tasks and assignments, to deal with competing priorities, to work independently and to remain effective under pressure and when facing difficult situations;
· Ability to accept responsibility and work effectively without close supervision in an efficient manner, and to work cooperatively with others in a team.
Applications must be received by Tuesday, November 10, 2020. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The Government Services Union is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to achieving and maintaining a representative workforce. Applications are encouraged from all equity groups.
A screening Board will review the applications.
The Board’s decision will be based on the contents of the application. Applicants should send a cover letter with their resume stating how their knowledge, skills and abilities relate to the qualifications of the position and are encouraged to provide evidence of their demonstrated skills and abilities, as this will provide the basis for the interview selection. The language assessment will be done through the written assignment and during the interviews with the selected candidates.
Travel expenses incurred by applicants will not be reimbursed by the Component.
Please advise the Selection board if you require any technical aids or other accommodation during any stage of the selection process.
Tuesday, November 10, 2020 - 17:00